Name:
Location: New York, United States

My name is Danny. I'm a writer/journalist in NYC. I just came back from a few years in Asia working there. I'm a true NY'er, I love the arts, musuems, cafes.I'm more poet philospher than writer/novelist. I like lounges over clubs, quiet cafes over clubs and great conversations. I'm as normal as one can be I guess, except for the traveling, that I do too much. I have a sarcastic streak that rears its ugly head but eh, what r u gonna do? A sharp mind and cool wit is a great thing.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virgina Tech Society and blame

In light of recent events this blog will be a bit more sensitive. Already both sides of the political spectrum have thrown in their two cents over gun control and psych profiling students. Where and more importantly who went wrong? Who do we blame? Well for starters let’s blame the gun lobby for beating into our heads that gun ownership is a right. No it’s a privilege, and not everyone should have one. Here’s an idea, strict gun control laws overseas, lower murder rates, a coincidence? Or are the Europeans less barbaric than us Americans? Lets blame the media, who wrap themselves in the first amendment and show whatever they want claiming freedom of speech. It’s called responsibility. Seriously how many more shoot’em up movies that glorify death and sex do we need? Lets blame politicians who would rather make a sound bite on CNN rather than doing something like I don’t know, governing? Where were they when gun control bills came rolling through Congress? Who else can we blame? The school, for not seeing they have a dangerous and disturbed student in their mist, then again had they done something the ACLU would have had a field day, so let’s blame them too. I want to personally blame MTV simply because I like to blame MTV for everything. I want to blame the kid’s parents who for all intents and purposes are typically Asian (I’m Thai so I’m not a racist). Yes your kid has issues and rather dealing with them you’d rather forget it and move on quietly. Let’s blame the kid too for being psychotic. Is that all?

Seriously though, violence isn’t an epidemic, it isn’t even random. It’s a part of everyday life, what makes this story so different is that one: it happened on a college campus, two: the body count was high, too high and finally it was an Asian kid. Who would have thought? Not I says the Thai kid with glasses, that would be me. We have always touted ourselves, as a nation and as its citizens as being civilized, righteous, and gosh darn great. The reality is that we’re not so smart. If we were not anyone can walk into a store and buy a gun. If we were normal we wouldn’t be glorifying violence in the media, but rather something noble like say, being smart…? Just a thought here and I know its crazy but shouldn’t the real blame be on us, each of us?

I know what you are thinking, me? I live in Iowa, I have nothing to do with this, I do my thing, keep my head down and live my life. Congrats, you are just like 99.9 percent of people. And that’s the problem, we’ve become so apathetic, so downright cynical about social issues that we gave up. Instead we’ve given rein of the government to the far right and the far left. Both sides have seriously screwed us so bad its hard to tell who’s worse. The right would have you believe boys kissing boys is bad, the left would rather we all be politically correct for fear of upsetting someone. So not only are we homophobic but we can’t call them homophobic. The real issues aren’t being discussed. And what’s worse is that the 18-27 year old demographic would rather watch The Real World or Flavor of Love rather than say…VOTE! Yes its that hard to believe but you college student can go see Dave freakin Matthews but not vote. But you who really one? The same far right and the same far left, see they want you to not care its easier to brainwash the sheeople er…. People. Yeah much easier to blame everyone but themselves and that’s a damn shame.

32 students killed, 1 kid with problems who’s gonna get demonized. What worries me is that rather than reporting real news CNN ran a story about Korean Americans fear backlash. That’s a story? The question is why? Why did this happen? Why this campus? Why this kid? Forget the why, let’s focus on the who. Let’s focus on how we can avoid another Va. Tech, another Columbine. We’re so focused on terrorist we forget that we haven’t solved our problems here yet. So come on America, come on internet people, bomb your congressman’s message board. Let’s vote, for the right person not the person we’d rather hang out with. The first step is to admit we have a problem. AMERICA WE HAVE A PROBLEM. Second thing, look in the mirror and ask your self what have I done lately….
(This blog in no way shape or form is endorsed by or approved by the AP, its just my bloody opinion)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home